Step 1: Prepare
- Know the costs of attending Jamestown Community College
- Estimate your financial aid with the net price calculator
- Talk with your high school counselor
- Check out SUNY Smart Track, a free resource with tools and services to help you prepare for your financial future
Step 2: Complete JCC applications
Step 3: Complete the FAFSA
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form is required to be eligible for any federal or state aid. A complete institutional award package cannot be determined if JCC does not receive a FAFSA.
2024-25 FAFSA updates
The 2024-25 FAFSA includes major updates to improve the process and form:
- The 2024-25 FAFSA form is live.
- Anyone who provides information on your FAFSA form will be a "contributor," which is a new term. The FAFSA form will tell you who needs to be a contributor based on your answers to certain questions.
- You and your contributors must provide consent and approval to be eligible for federal student aid.
- You and your contributors won’t be able to access the FAFSA form without a StudentAid.gov account. Your contributors will be able to create a StudentAid.gov account even if they don’t have a Social Security Number. As a student, you’ll be required to enter your SSN (unless you’re a citizen of the Freely Associated States) to create your StudentAid.gov account.
- The Student Aid Index (SAI) replaces the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Once JCC knows your SAI, we will use it to calculate your aid award.
- Pell grant eligibility has expanded to consider more information, including family size and federal poverty guidelines.
- The FAFSA Submission Summary replaces the Student Aid Report.
JCC’s FAFSA completion team can help you with the FAFSA. Contact 716.338.1000 to get started.
- StudentAid.gov - 7 Key Changes Coming to the 2024-25 FAFSA Experience (StudentAid.gov)
- FAFSA Frequently Asked Questions YouTube playlist (Federal Student Aid)
Create your FSA ID at StudentAid.gov
The FSA ID includes a username and password for the student. Anyone whose information is needed on the applicant's FAFSA will also need an FSA ID. They are called "contributors."
- If married and filing jointly - only one parent needs to have an FSA ID.
- If married and filing separately - both parents need an FSA ID.
- Am I dependent or independent?
Complete the FAFSA
Complete the FAFSA electronically any time after October 1.
- JCC’s federal school code is 002869.
- Federal Tax Information (FTI) must be transmitted directly from the IRS. The application and all contributors must sign consent for the FTI to be transmitted.
- You should print a copy of the completed FAFSA and the confirmation sheet for your records.
- Help filling out the FAFSA form
Check your FAFSA Submission Summary
Once your application is processed, you will receive a confirmation email noting submission date, estimated Student Aid Index, and estimated Federal Pell grant eligibility. You will receive another email with a link to your FAFSA Submission Summary when it is available for review on StudentAid.gov.
The FAFSA Submission Summary shows your eligibility for federal student aid. It includes the answers that you submitted on your FAFSA form (except for any federal tax information that was transferred directly from the IRS), Student Aid Index (SAI), and an estimation of the amount of federal student aid that you may be eligible for.
Your SAI is an index number based on the information that you and your contributors provide in your FAFSA. It is not a dollar amount. The SAI replaces the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) starting in the 2024-25 award year.
Step 5: Review your aid award
You will be provided with the financial aid award you're eligible to receive during the academic year, with your financial aid awards on an ongoing basis.
Students will receive an email from the JCC Financial Aid office with directions to review their awards and SUNY Financial Aid Plan in Banner.
Remaining requirements in Banner
- Your FAFSA may be selected for a process called "verification" by the U.S. Department of Education. In this process, JCC is required to review your FAFSA information to ensure accuracy. If selected, you will receive a list of required documents. It is extremely important that you provide the required documents as soon as possible. Failure to provide these documents will prevent you from receiving federal student aid, and you will be responsible for all tuition and charges until the verification process is complete.
- If you want to accept a loan that was offered to you in your award offer, you can complete the JCC Loan Acceptance Form via your Banner account.
- After you sign in, you will be on the home tab.
- Under Student Requirements, then Unsatisfied Requirements, select the drop down arrow next to Direct Student Loan Acceptance Form.
- Select JCC Electronic Loan Acceptance Form on Direct Student Loan Acceptance form.
- If you do not have the link, refer to your award letter for further information.
Direct loan entrance counseling & master promissory note
If you are accepting loans and you have never borrowed Federal Direct Loans, you must also complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note at studentaid.gov before your loan can be processed.
NYS certificate of residence
Complete New York State certificate of residence requirements to reduce your tuition.