Step 1: Prepare
- Know the costs of attending Jamestown Community College
- Estimate your financial aid with the net price calculator
- Talk with your high school counselor
- Check out SUNY Smart Track, a free resource with tools and services to help you prepare for your financial future
Step 2: Complete JCC applications
Step 3: Complete the FAFSA
The FAFSA form is required to be eligible for any federal or state aid. A complete institutional award package cannot be determined if JCC does not receive a FAFSA.
Create your FSA ID
The FSA ID includes a username and password for the student. If you are dependent for FAFSA purposes, one parent will also create a separate username and password.
Complete the FAFSA
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically any time after October 1.
- JCC’s federal school code is 002869.
- If possible, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when given the option on the FAFSA.
- You should print a copy of the completed FAFSA and the confirmation sheet for your records.
- Help filling out the FAFSA form
Check your Student Aid Report
Once your application is processed, you will receive an email with a link to your Student Aid Report. The report will contain your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the information you provided in your FAFSA. The EFC is used to calculate the amount of your Pell Grant and other federal aid that you and your family may be eligible for.
The EFC is only an estimate of what the federal government thinks you can afford to pay for college. A "zero" EFC does NOT necessarily mean that your family won’t have to pay anything toward your college costs.
Step 5: Review your aid award
You will be provided with the financial aid award you're eligible to receive during the academic year, with your financial aid awards on an ongoing basis.
- New students will receive their award letter in the mail.
- Continuing students will receive an email notifying them that their financial aid award information is available in Banner.
Complete remaining requirements
- Complete unsatisfied requirements for financial aid in Banner.
- Your FAFSA may be selected for a process called "verification" by the U.S. Department of Education. In this process, JCC is required to review your FAFSA information to ensure accuracy. If selected, you will receive a list of required documents. It is extremely important that you provide the required documents as soon as possible. Failure to provide these documents will prevent you from receiving federal student aid, and you will be responsible for all tuition and charges until the verification process is complete.
- If you want to accept a loan that was offered to you in your award letter, you can complete the JCC Loan Acceptance Form via your Banner account. After you sign in, click on the Financial Aid tab and select Your Eligibility Requirements. Select the correct Aid Year and select the Direct Stafford Loan Form link. If you do not have the link, refer to your award letter for further information.
- Complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling if borrowing loans.
- Complete New York State Certificate of Residence requirements to reduce your tuition.