Summer Financial Aid

Federal & state funding

Federal PELL grants, Direct Stafford loans, and NYS TAP awards are available for 2021 summer study at JCC. Your award amount is based on eligibility factors, and you must enroll in at least six credit hours of summer study needed for your degree (exception: PELL grant for part-time study).

If, for any reason (such as class cancellation or a change in your schedule), you cannot participate in six credit hours, you will not be eligible for the PELL, Direct Stafford loan, or NYS TAP award for credits taken, and you will be responsible to pay with other resources.

Federal PELL grants for summer 2021 study may be available to continuing Jamestown Community College students who were accepted and enrolled in spring 2021 courses and are eligible to receive PELL during the 2020-2021 academic year.

PELL funds will automatically be awarded to your summer student bill after you register for summer courses, based on your eligibility:

  • Be good academic standing and enroll in courses necessary for your degree or certificate
  • If you were enrolled full-time for the entire 2020-2021 academic year: enroll in at least six credit hours of summer study
  • If you enrolled less than full-time during the 2020-2021 academic year: enroll in at least one summer course

To receive a summer student loan, you must:

  • Be enrolled and pursuing a JCC degree or certificate in the spring 2021 semester
  • Meet financial and academic progress requirements for federal aid
  • Have a completed and correct 2020-2021 Student Aid Report (SAR) on record with JCC
  • Have remaining student loan eligibility for the 2020-2021 academic year
  • Submit a student loan acceptance form (available in BANNER under 2020-2021 financial aid eligibility requirements) to the Financial Aid office
  • Enroll in at least six credit hours of summer study needed for your program

New York State resident students may be eligible to receive a TAP award for summer study. JCC will not receive notice of summer TAP funds until after the NYS budget is passed, and therefore require that students pay for their summer student bill according to published due dates. After eligibility is certified and confirmed by the state, JCC will advance summer TAP awards to student accounts and forward refunds at that time.

To be eligible for summer TAP, you must:

  • Be enrolled and pursuing a JCC degree full-time during the spring 2021 semester
  • Have earned 24 credits applicable to your degree in the prior two semesters at JCC; 18 must be college level credits
  • Meet financial and academic progress requirements for federal aid
  • File a 2020-2021 FAFSA application, and indicate summer enrollment at JCC on your 2020-2021 NYS Express Tap Application or TAP Change form (you can file your FAFSA online)
  • Enroll in at least six college-level credit hours of summer study needed for your program

We recommend that you consider your future academic plans when considering use of summer TAP awards. NYS tracks state aid eligibility by assigning points for each semester a student receives an award. One semester of full-time study = 6 points, part-time study = 3-5.5 points/semester. Undergraduate students are eligible to receive TAP for a maximum of 48 points (8 FT semesters) while they study for a bachelor’s degree, the first 36 (6 FT semesters) of which they can use at community colleges, such as JCC. Summer TAP counts as 3 points. Because summer tuition is usually less than fall or spring full-time tuition, students typically receive smaller TAP awards for summer study than for other semesters. Students should carefully evaluate their long-term academic plans to determine whether using their summer TAP is to their best financial advantage.

Additional summer aid opportunities

The PEP grant for high school juniors and seniors (including June 2021 graduates) pays half the tuition for summer courses, up to a maximum award of $500. Funds are available on a limited, first-come-first-served basis to eligible students. Apply for the PEP grant »

Local agencies can assist qualifying students with summer session expenses. Students can contact agencies such as ACCES-VR or Chautauqua Works for information regarding these programs.

If you are pursuing a degree at another college and want to take summer courses at JCC, you are not eligible for financial aid through JCC. However, you may be eligible for summer aid for JCC courses from your home college. Contact your college financial aid office about your eligibility.