Study health information technology at JCC
The Health Information Technology certificate program at Jamestown Community College prepares you for an entry-level career in the medical office and health information fields. You can pursue roles like medical assistant, medical secretary or receptionist, and entry level medical billing assistant.
JCC’s program helps you develop your office skills with specialization in medical terminology, medical insurance, and medical office procedures. If you want to expand your studies, the HIT certificate provides the first half of the A.A.S. Health Information Technology degree.
2022 median pay for medical records specialists: $47,180/year according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Where to study at JCC
JCC’s Health Information Technology certificate prepares you to enter the workforce immediately after graduation.
- Medical assistant/imaging assistant
- Medical secretary/receptionist
- Administrative medical assistant
- Medical file clerk
- Entry level medical billing assistant
The certificate provides the first half of the Health Information Technology degree, except for the math/English requirements.
Health information technology skills
After you complete the program, you will be able to:
- Show the ability to perform basic administrative medical assisting functions.
- Recognize and respond effectively to verbal, nonverbal, and written communications.
- Demonstrate the ability to use medical terminology appropriately.
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer usage and word processing skills.
HIT 1410: Medical Terminology
HIT 1420: Health Data Procedures
BUS 1360: Keyboarding/Word Processing
BIO 1510: Health Science
ENG 1510: English Composition I (or higher)
- Discuss employment opportunities.
- Visit the Learning Center.
- If eventual plan is to pursue the A.A.S. Health Information Technology program, begin the math sequence.
HIT 1460: Electronic Health Record Management
CSC 1560: Computer Applications Software I
Social Sciences Elective
PSY 1510: General Psychology or
SOC 1510: Introduction to Sociology
HIT 2430: Healthcare Documentation/Medical Transcription or
HIT 2440: Medical Coding I (CPT) or
HIT 2450: Medical Coding II (ICD-10-CM) or
BUS 2320: Word Processing Production or
Any BUS elective, or math and/or English elective if pursuing A.A.S. degree
- Use Learning Center services, if needed.
- Discuss specialized areas of concentration when selecting electives, based on employment preferences.
- Apply for graduation.
- Work with Career Services to begin job search.