International Student Support

International admissions & enrollment

The Global Learning team at Jamestown Community College guides you through the international admissions and enrollment process.

We encourage you to participate in our virtual open house events, one-on-one advising sessions, and enrollment workshops to answer all your questions and get the support you need to start your education in the U.S.

Accepted international students

Once you are accepted to JCC, you have a few more steps to ensure the transition is as easy as possible for your arrival.

Current international students

Navigating the U.S. education system as an international student can feel overwhelming. There are many rules and regulations that must be followed as an F-1 student visa holder. Study in the States is a free, helpful resource provided by the Department of Homeland Security that explains the rules and regulations governing the nonimmigrant student process in the U.S.
It is important that you review this information and understand your responsibilities as an international student in the U.S. To get assistance from the Global Learning team, schedule an appointment.

International student employment

As an international student studying in the U.S., your ability to work and participate in training opportunities is limited by U.S. law. If you engage in employment without proper authorization, there are serious consequences that can impact your ability to study, travel, or work in the U.S. throughout your life.

If you plan to start the process for any employment, schedule an appointment with Global Learning to get started and ensure that you are following U.S. law throughout the experience.

On-campus employment is work that directly supports the JCC student body (Residence Life, administrative offices, Athletics, etc.).

Eligibility requirements: Must be a full-time student. Eligibility does not guarantee an on-campus job.

Application process: Attend an employment workshop and review Student Workers.

Student costs: If a student would like to maintain on-campus employment over the summer, additional residence hall fees may apply.

Wages: New York State minimum wage

Curricular practical training is a paid or unpaid, for-credit internship directly related to your major area of study and takes place off campus.

Eligibility requirements: Must have been enrolled on campus for at least one academic year as an F-1 student and be in good standing.

Application process: Schedule an appointment with Career Services to discuss opportunities. Once you have a job offer letter, schedule an appointment with Global Learning to receive approval and an updated I-20 with the required authorization.

Student costs: Any additional student costs are typically for CPT over the summer, and a student is charged tuition related to the internship and additional housing fees may apply.

Wages: Varies, can be paid or unpaid

Optional practical training is paid employment directly related to your major area of study that takes place after you graduate. 

Eligibility requirements: Must have completed all degree requirements and have applied for graduation.

Application process: You do not need a job offer to apply for OPT through USCIS. Schedule an appointment with Global Learning as soon as 90 days before graduation to start the process. Do not delay the application process, as USCIS approval can take three to five months.

Student costs: To submit the I-765 form for work authorization from USCIS, there is a $410 fee that must be paid at the time of application. Housing fees will also apply if we can accommodate you with a room in the residence hall (space is limited).

Wages: Varies, set by employer