Preparing for Advisement

Take an active role in your education

JCC encourages students to take an active role in their academic planning. To ensure that your advisement process is successful and productive, use the resources below to prepare prior to meeting with your faculty advisor. New students are also encouraged to complete an Advisement Preparation Session (APS).

Printable Advisement  Documents Scheduling Information Other Helpful Links
Advisement syllabus: know your responsibilities in the advisement process Credit course schedules: courses being offered a given semester Degree works: your degree planning
Advisement Checklist for continuing students: prepare for your advisement meeting Program requirements: View your requirements as well as a recommended semester-by-semester plan Banner: registration, class schedule, grades, account information and more
Advisement Prep Worksheet for NEW and RETURNING students: Complete this form and bring to your advisement meeting! Course descriptions JCC Veterans page

JCC Information Systems - A guide to logging into Banner, JCC email, Blackboard, and Degree Works.

General Education requirements: JCC general education and SUNY Gen Ed. Change My Major or Advisor:  Changes can potentially impact graduation date and financial aid eligibility. Questions? Visit the Counseling and Career Center.
Distribution information: humanities, math/science, and social science electives Building your semester schedule: Prepare for your advisement meeting by choosing times and days for your classes! Transfer Resources: Transfer agreements, course equivalencies, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Advisement Preparation Session?

The Advisement Preparation Session (APS) helps new students prepare for a meeting with an advisor to register for classes. APS prepares students for that meeting by helping them understand program requirements, college terminology, and responsibilities of students and advisors. Following the APS, students should be able draft a tentative first semester schedule to bring to their advisement appointment.

Is APS different than orientation?

Yes, the two are different. The APS provides students with information on academic planning and responsibilities in the advisement process. Orientation covers a much broader scope and is meant to familiarize students with college programs, policies, and resources as well as online information systems, and campus layout. 

What is the difference between part-time and full-time enrollment?

Full-time students are enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester. An average full-time credit load is around 15 credits, but students may take up to 19 credits each semester. Part-time students are enrolled in fewer than 12 credits per term.

When can I register for classes?

Course registration for the fall semester typically opens in April.  Registration for the spring (January) term typically begins in November.  New full-time students will complete an Advisement Prep Session prior to registering for classes.

How do I get an advisor?

Students are assigned to advisors when they register for their first semester. The advisor is usually a full-time faculty member who teaches in the student’s major area of study. Undeclared students are assigned to career counselors who will work with them until a major is chosen. 

Why do I need a placement test?

Most students will not need to take a placment test. Placement tests, if needed, helps to determine readiness for college level coursework in English and/or math.

Can I take my placement test closer to where I live?

Yes. Students who live more than 90 minutes away from the college, you may have the test proctored closer to where you live. See details on our placement testing page.

What’s the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?

The first week of each fall and spring semester is considered “drop/add week.” During this time, students may make changes to their schedules by dropping and adding courses. These changes do not appear on the permanent record. After the first week, a formal withdrawal would need to be processed to drop a class from the schedule. This appears on the permanent academic record as a “W.”

Can I still get financial aid if I’m a part-time student?

Yes. There are financial aid opportunities for both full- and part-time students. Information on types of aid is available through the Financial Aid office

Can changing my schedule during the semester affect my financial aid eligibility?

Yes. Before making any changes to your schedule, make sure you are well-informed about financial aid guidelines, your program requirements, and your future course-sequencing. Seek assistance from your advisor and/or the financial aid office before making changes. 

Where can I find my advisor’s name and contact information?

You can find your advisor’s name by accessing the “Student Records” in your Banner account and clicking on “View Student Information.” Your advisor’s name, as well as a link to his or her e-mail, is also available in Degree Works.

Can I change my major or my advisor?

Yes, you can request a change of advisor at any time by speaking to the faculty member you wish to have as your new advisor (this should be someone from your academic area), and then completing an online Advisor/Program Change form. Changes to programs must be made prior to the start of the semester for which you want to make the change.  The online Advisor/Program Change form and can be accessed through your Student Records menu in Banner or via a link on the Academic Advising page on the JCC website. Please visit the Counseling Center for questions on program or advisor changes.

How can I find out whether my courses will transfer?

Some transfer information, such as known course equivalencies and transfer agreements can be found on JCC’s transfer page. However, it is important to speak with your advisor or a transfer counselor early, and often about your plans. Careful planning will assure that you are on track for the institution to which you are transferring.

What are prerequisites and corequisites?

A prerequisite is a course which must be taken before the class in question. A corequisite is a course which must be taken at the same time as the class in question. 

How can I tell if I’m eligible to take a class?

Course requisites can be found within course descriptions in the academics pages of the JCC website, in the back of each semester’s Master Schedule, and in the back of the online College Catalog. Course descriptions, along with syllabi, can also be accessed via the Banner home page by clicking "Course Descriptions".

What are General Education Requirements?

The SUNY General Education Requirement (SUNY GER) is the 30-credit requirement for all SUNY baccalaureate, A.A., and A.S. degree recipients. Students matriculating in fall 2015 or after must complete 30 credits from across 7 of the 10 GER categories for an A.A. or A.S. degree from JCC (A.A.S. degrees do not have this requirement).  

JCC General Education Requirements are required for all associate degrees at JCC (A.A., A.S., and A.A.S.)  More information on general education requirements can be found in the master course schedule each semester or on the General Education page

What is imputed credit?

Imputed credits are assigned to courses which are not college-level and are meant to prepare students for college level coursework though skill-building. Imputed courses can be identified by their course numbers, which begin with zero (i.e. ENG 0410, MAT 0500). Imputed courses can be covered by financial aid and can be counted as part of a student’s semester credit load, but do not apply toward graduation. The need for imputed courses could potentially result in additional semester(s) to complete the degree, depending on how many are necessary prior to beginning college-level coursework. 

How do I find out which classes I need for my degree?

Students are responsible for knowing their degree requirements and maintaining academic progress toward those degrees.  Information on degree requirements can be found on the Academics (Programs of Study) page on the JCC website, in the online college catalog, and in Degree Works.  For questions on how to access any of the above, see your advisor or Counseling Services. 

Where can I find my mid-term and final grades?

Your 6-week and final grades can be accessed through Banner, under your Student Records menu. Be sure to check your 6-week grades each semester, as they provide valuable feedback on your progress each semester. Seek help immediately if your find you are struggling in your classes.

Is there an easy way to see how many classes I have left before I graduate?

Degree Works is a degree audit system which keeps track of which degree requirements you have completed and which ones you still need to complete. Use this valuable tool in your academic planning each semester.

Printer-friendly version