Do One Thing
Do One Thing
What if you made a commitment to turn off the lights whenever you leave a room? Or to turn the thermostat down a few degrees in the winter? Or to ride your bike instead of driving everywhere? Now what if you got all of your friends to make the same commitment? And they got all of their friends? And all of their friends?
That's the idea behind Do One Thing. That small changes can yield big results. That we're always more powerful when we work together. And that we all have a vital part to play in building a more sustainable future.
Join us. Make a DOT pledge. Share your pledge with others and encourage them to make one. To get you started, check out what others in the community have pledged to do , or look at the ideas listed below. We've even included the amount of carbon dioxide emissions you'd be cutting if you kept your pledge for an entire year.
- Unplug electronics when you're not using them (800 lbs CO2/household/year)
- Buy local food; it helps build community and uses less energy (5,000 lbs CO2/year)
- Recycle whenever possible and pay attention to what you throw in the garbage (3,600 lbs CO2/year)
- Take a CARTS or OATS bus to school at least once a week (each round-trip saves 20 lbs of CO2 emissions)
- Eat less meat; cutting down on meat saves water, grains, and energy that would otherwise go to raising livestock (472 lbs CO2/year)
- Calculate your carbon footprint , then commit to making it smaller
What will you pledge to do?