Personal Counseling

We can help with personal counseling

How often have you heard, “College is the time of your life!”? While this may be true for some students, college can also be overwhelming. If you feel like things are getting more difficult to manage and want someone to talk to about your concerns, consider making an appointment with a JCC counselor. We can help you to identify the area of concern, provide you with related education and information, suggest techniques to help you, and if appropriate, help you find services in the community to meet your individual needs.

Why would I need counseling?

College life can be very rewarding, but also stressful. There are often many life stressors that college students encounter. If you are beginning to feel stressed or overwhelmed, make an appointment to talk with a counselor.

How can a counselor help me?

Counselors are trained to assist you in identifying, understanding, and developing skills to address your personal problems.

What if I'm in crisis?

The Counseling and Career Center is prepared to assist students who are in crisis.

However, the counselors are not available 24 hours per day. If there is a crisis during off hours, we recommend that you call the local crisis line (1.800.724.0461) or go to a local emergency room.

  • Emergency: 911 or use a blue light phone on campus
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.TALK (8255)
  • Veteran Crisis Line: 800.273.8255, press 1
  • Victim advocacy and domestic violence:
    • Salvation Army Domestic Violence Rape Crisis Program: 800.252.8748 (24 hour crisis hotline)
    • Cattaraugus Community Action: 888.945.3970 (24 hour crisis hotline)
    • Southern Tier Health Care System - SAFE Program: 716.372.0614
  • Hospitals:
    • UPMC Chautauqua Hospital (WCA) emergency care: 716.664.8120
    • Olean General Hospital crisis hotline: 800.339.5209
    • Brooks Memorial Hospital emergency care: 716.366.1111
  • Mental health and community services:
    • Chautauqua County Crisis Helpline: 800.724.0461
    • Cattaraugus County Department of Community Services: 716.373.8040
    • The Resource Center mental health emergency care: 716.934.2654
  • Police departments (non-emergency):
    • Jamestown Police Department: 716.483.7536
    • Olean Police Department: 716.376.5678
    • New York State Police/Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office Dispatch: 716.753.4232
  • Free nationwide resources and referrals: 211
  • More JCC and community resources