Academic support at JCC
The Learning Center provides services to support academic growth and success in partnership with students, faculty, and staff. As a complement to classroom instruction, our goal is to help students become independent, efficient, and confident learners.
Students can receive one-to-one tutoring from trained student tutors and experienced faculty members. The centers maintain libraries of learning resource materials and current textbooks. Computer labs are available for microcomputer applications, internet research, and access to course specific software.
The learning centers work closely with the Accessibility Services office. Students with disability-related learning needs can access assistive technology and can receive individualized assistance at both learning centers.
- With a tutor: Log into Starfish and follow these directions to make an appointment with a peer tutor
- For help with study skills: Log into Starfish and follow these directions to make an appointment for help with study skills
Once you have made your tutorial appointment, a learning center staff member will email details of how to access the tutor from a distance. Please read this email and follow any instructions, or your tutorial will be delayed!
Tutors can work with you through:
- GoBoard web-based meeting space
- Reliable high-speed Internet access, webcam or microphone, speakers or headphones, and Chrome browser or iPad needed
- Includes video, audio, and an electronic whiteboard
- Appropriate for any course
- Valid phone number must be provided when an appointment is made
- Only discussion-based tutorials possible
- The JCC email addresses of both the student and the tutor will be used
- Most appropriate for help with writing assignments
- Easily combined with phone-based appointments