Prepare for your study abroad trip
As a participant of a study abroad program or international internship, you are regarded as ambassadors of goodwill and are representatives of Jamestown Community College, New York state, and the United States. All steps are mandatory except for 2 and 3, as your need for a passport and/or visa depends on the country you’re going to.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Global Learning office. You can review different opportunities, see which one is the best for you, and get started on the process. If you've already started the process with Career Services for an international internship, make an appointment to continue your preparation.
- If needed, obtain a passport. Give a copy to Global Learning.
- If needed, obtain a tourist visa for the country you are traveling to. Give a copy to Global Learning.
- Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). The STEP program is a free service provided by the U.S. government to U.S. citizens who are traveling abroad. STEP allows you to enter information about your trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. Give a copy to Global Learning.
- Complete the paperwork packet. This includes the student roles and responsibilities form, student health information form, and student agreement form.
- Attend pre-departure orientation sessions.