Money for college

Grants are a form of gift aid based on your family finances that do not need to be repaid. You need to complete separate applications for federal and state grants, and you will have to maintain your eligibility.

Federal grants

Pell grants are determined by a federal formula that considers the financial information on the FAFSA application and the number of credit hours that you are enrolled in as of the end of the first week of classes each semester. Pell grants are applied to your student bill each semester and are pro-rated if you enroll in less than 12 credits per semester.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are awarded to students with exceptional financial need who are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant. This grant is credited to your student bill for the fall and spring semesters and may be adjusted for changes in level of enrollment.

New York state grants

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant for NYS residents enrolled full-time whose financial eligibility is determined by New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) in accordance with NYS laws and the state budget. Qualifying students will receive credit for this award on their student bills.

Part-Time TAP is a grant for NYS residents enrolled in 6-11 credit hours. Eligible students were first-time, full-time students in 2006-07 or later who earned 12 credits or more in each of two consecutive semesters, maintain a minimum C average, and meet all other TAP eligibility requirements.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) is a grant for NYS residents enrolled in 6-11 credit hours. Part-time students must apply for APTS by submitting a separate application to the Financial Aid office. Limited funding is available, so submit your application early.

Other NYS grants and scholarships are available through HESC.

New York State regulations require that award recipients have graduated from a high school in the United States or earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), formerly known as a GED.

Pennsylvania state grants

The Pennsylvania State Grant, administered by PHEAA, is for Pennsylvania residents who take at least 6 credit hours at the Jamestown Campus or Warren Center. PHEAA will calculate awards based on your FAFSA and state grant application.

student on computer at table
Need to know

Contact Financial Aid

Jamestown Campus
(Hamilton Collegiate Center)

800.388.8557 x1009 or 716.338.1009

Cattaraugus County Campus
(College Center)