Emergency Evacuation Procedures for Mobility-Impaired Individuals:
- Use the elevator for all emergencies EXCEPT fire or earthquake.
- If you are unsure what kind of emergency exists, use the stairs or the Area of Rescue Assistance.
In the event of fire or earthquake, proceed to the Area of Rescue Assistance.
Jamestown Campus: Areas of Rescue Assistance are located in marked stairwells in the ARSC, HULT, and CEDC buildings. The areas in ARSC and HULT are equipped with emergency phones that are connected to 911. Fire or police department personnel will evacuate you.
North County and Cattaraugus County Campus students: use the Areas of Rescue Assistance in the labeled stairwells.
For Hearing-Impaired Individuals:
Please note that alarms are equipped with strobes which flash in the event of an emergency. However, outside of main hallways in older parts of some buildings or in private offices there may be no strobes; be aware of your surroundings and alert to other visual cues.
As a student with disabilities or medical conditions who may require assistance with emergency evacuation, it is your responsibility to:
- Identify yourself to supervisors, faculty, roommates, the college Health Centers (link to Health Center contact info) and/or residence assistants, indicating the nature of your disability and the type of assistance required in the event of an emergency.
- Know building and campus evacuation routes. Classroom evacuation maps are located in each classroom beside the door.
- Make use of a “buddy system.”