COVID-19 pool testing at JCC
Jamestown Community College has developed a COVID-19 pool testing plan using saliva samples for the health and safety of our Jayhawks. JCC will collaborate with the Chautauqua County Health Department to perform individual COVID-19 testing on an as-needed basis. JCC's pool testing and fall 2020 departure testing plans have been reviewed and accepted by SUNY.
Pool testing provides fast, reliable, and secure data about the presence of COVID-19 in saliva samples. The technique mixes 12 individual samples into a batch, and the batch is then tested.
- If the batch is negative, the samples in the batch are negative.
- If the batch is positive, then each sample needs to be tested individually to determine which sample(s) is/are positive.
Students and employees will be pool tested, including:
- Residence hall students
- Commuter students
Please note: changes in pool sizes and frequencies may occur as a result of pool testing trends.
Pre-registration is required for pool testing. We recommend that you register at least 24 hours before the pool testing date. Register online or if you are unable to register online, contact the Health Center (716.338.1013 or 716.338.1077).
On your testing day, you will arrive at your designated station and time. JCC attendants will guide you through each step. After you complete the initial screening, you’ll receive your saliva swab collection kit and work with JCC attendants to collect your saliva.
- You must arrive with your username and password that you used to register. You must also arrive with your photo ID.
- 3 hours before reporting to testing: do not brush your teeth or use mouthwash.
- 30 minutes before reporting to testing: do not eat or drink anything, including chewing gum, mints or lozenges. Do not smoke, vape, or use smokeless tobacco products.
- Absolutely no congregating at the pool testing stations, everyone must maintain social distancing, and masks are required.
Jamestown Campus: Quiet Lounge, COCE
- Mondays, through December 14 | noon-2:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays, through December 14 | 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Cattaraugus County Campus: Space that was formerly Campus Bookstore, COLL
- Mondays and Tuesdays, through December 14 | 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays, through December 14 | 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
North County Center: Main Building
- Tuesdays | 8-8:30 a.m.
Your pool will be sent to SUNY Upstate, where COVID results will be determined within 24-48 hours. SUNY Upstate Medical University and JCC will maintain a list of students and employees and their results.
If the pool is negative:
- All individuals in the pool are presumed to be negative for COVID-19.
If the pool is positive:
- Individuals in the pool will be required to quarantine until further results are obtained. This could take up to 24 hours.
- These pooled individuals will be instructed to contact a healthcare provider.
Only positive test results will be communicated to individuals by JCC's health center.