Welcome Back to JCC

It is important you understand your duties and responsibilities as a veteran student while attending Jamestown Community College, so that you may receive your Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits. Your school certifying official acts as a liaison between the student and the VA, while operating under VA federal guidelines. Please remember, the VA has the ultimate authority in determining your eligibility for your VA educational entitlements. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the VA directly at 1.888.442.4551.


Your school certifying official’s main responsibility is to certify enrollment for students receiving educational benefits. Certification is the formal process of notifying the VA of a student’s enrollment status. You are required to submit a student schedule each semester to your school certifying official if you wish to receive educational benefits. Failure to submit your schedule may result in an over-payment or under-payment and/or non-payment of your benefits.

Enrollment Status Changes

Please be advised that your school certifying official is required by law to report all student enrollment status changes to the VA. Enrollment changes include adding or dropping courses, changing your major or program, repeating a course that you have already received a letter grade in, if you stop attending or withdraw from school, and any changes in your contact information.

Change of Major/Program

If you decide to change your major or program, you are required to submit VA FORM 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training to the VA using VONAPP. If you cannot access VONAPP, please contact your school certifying official for a paper version of the form. 

Course Adds, Drops, and Withdrawals

Your school certifying official is required to report any changes in enrollment to the VA; therefore, you are required to notify your school certifying official immediately if you add, drop, or withdraw from any courses throughout your semester.

Students may be required to pay back a portion of their benefits if a course is dropped, withdrawn, or receives a non punitive grade. It is the student’s responsibility to verify information certified to the VA and repay any overpayment, if necessary.

Students receiving veteran educational benefits must remain full-time in order to receive his or her full benefits. Students receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits who withdraw are subject to benefit repayment unless there are extenuating circumstances, with an appeal process between the student and the VA.

Repeat or Duplication

If a student fails a course or receives a grade below departmental requirements, the course may be repeated and receive VA educational benefits. All other repeats or duplications CANNOT be certified.