Students selected from both the Jamestown and Olean campuses will assist the Sustainability Coordinator in creating awareness of and participation in a Do One Thing Campaign.
These activities will include:
- Assist the Sustainability Office in creating a campus-wide campaign, involving students, staff and faculty, to Do One Thing for Sustainability.
- Assist the JCC Web Content Manager in designing and creating the DOT pages as part of the JCC Sustainability website. The pages will track DOT pledges, offer suggestions, and accumulate benefit totals.
- Assist in creating, promoting, and maintaining an awareness campaign to encourage students and staff to visit the website and take the DOT pledge.
- Work with the college administration to promote the DOT campaign through the use of recognition, awards, prizes, etc.
To complete the internship students will choose 1 personal (investigating how sustainability relates to career choices) OR 1 campus project (ie dangerous air pollutants and their affects on dorm living). They will also be required to write a report outlining and/or summarizing the results of the inventory or their experiences working on the inventory.
- Students will gain a better understanding of individual actions that can promote a sustainable lifestyle
- Students will gain a better understanding of the sources, challenges, and impacts of non-sustainable actions in a college environment
- Students will gain a better understanding promoting and influencing positive behaviors
- Students will collect and analyze data, and report findings to the campus community, including campus decision-makers
- Training will be conducted individually and as necessary
Context for Internship:
This internship utilizes the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment framework; a greenhouse gas emissions assessment is required by all signatories to the commitment.
- American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment is a high-visibility effort to address global warming by garnering institutional commitments to neutralize greenhouse gas emissions, and to accelerate the research and educational efforts of higher education to equip society to re-stabilize the earth's climate (www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org)
- Clean Air-Cool Planet developed the greenhouse gas calculator available for download. Their tool has is widely used by colleges and universities.
- The Sustainability Handbook: The Complete Management Guide to Achieving Social, Economic, and Environmental Responsibility by William Blackburn
- The Story of Stuff Project – Free Range Studios (www.storyofstuff.org)
Students must have successfully completed at least 24 credits and earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
Students will be responsible for:
- Participation in all training sessions as part of the GHG inventory process
- Participation in learning activities such as reading assignments, videos, or group discussions to gain a better understanding of the principles of sustainable living
- Assisting in the creation of web content
- Assisting in the creation and marketing of campaign advertising (posters, banners, emails, etc.) to promote participation
- Keeping a thorough and accurate records of campaign participation and results
- Participation in the computation of data into generalized information
- Assisting in analyzing findings, determining recommendations for improvement and writing a report to that effect
- Maintaining a professional attitude and demeanor toward both the project and those they come in contact with for the duration of the internship
- Maintaining regular communication with the Sustainability Coordinator in order to schedule activities and maximize time available
- Keeping a record of project hours for approval by Site Supervisor
- Completing one personal OR one campus project