Students selected from both the Jamestown and Olean campuses will assist the Sustainability Coordinator in conducting the annual JCC GHG Inventory and Report.
These activities will include:
- Assist the Sustainability Office in conducting the annual greenhouse gas inventory of college emissions as a required part of the ACUPCC. Emission sources include natural gas combustion for heating, electricity usage, solid waste generation, commuting, college related travel, chemical usage by facilities, and fertilizer usage. Data collection from records and invoices from the Business Office, Building and Grounds, and FSA is required. Collected data is to be compiled and recorded in various spreadsheets, converted to standard common units, and entered into the Clean Air - Cool Planet Campus Carbon Calculator for reporting to ACUPCC.
- Upon completion of the inventory various charts, graphs, and media presentations will be produced to communicate key data points.
- Assist the Office of Sustainability in completing the Greenhouse Gas Inventory Report detailing the findings of the inventory, comparison with previous years, projecting trends, comparison with similar colleges and institutions, and suggesting future opportunities.
- Accompany the Sustainability Coordinator on field trips to remote campuses to verify data or to energy/emission source locations to reinforce the impacts as required.
To complete the internship students will choose 1 personal (investigating how sustainability relates to career choices) OR 1 campus project (ie dangerous air pollutants and their affects on dorm living). They will also be required to write a report outlining and/or summarizing the results of the inventory or their experiences working on the inventory.
- Students will understand the local links to the global issue of greenhouse gas emissions, by analyzing the campus links to greenhouse gas emissions
- Students will gain a better understanding of the sources, challenges, and impacts of waste and recycling in a college environment
- Students will gain a better understanding of energy use and conservation by campus appliances
- Students will collect and analyze data, and report findings to the campus community, including campus decision-makers
- Initial training will be conducted using the Clean Air-Cool Planet calculator
- Additional training will be conducted individually and as necessary
Context for Internship:
This internship utilizes the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment framework; a greenhouse gas emissions assessment is required by all signatories to the commitment.
- American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment is a high-visibility effort to address global warming by garnering institutional commitments to neutralize greenhouse gas emissions, and to accelerate the research and educational efforts of higher education to equip society to re-stabilize the earth's climate (http://www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org)
- Clean Air-Cool Planet developed the greenhouse gas calculator available for download. Their tool has is widely used by colleges and universities.
- The Sustainability Handbook: The Complete Management Guide to Achieving Social, Economic, and Environmental Responsibility by William Blackburn
Students must have successfully completed at least 24 credits and earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
Students will be responsible for:
- Participation in all training sessions as part of the GHG inventory process
- Participation in learning activities such as reading assignments, videos, or group discussions to gain a better understanding of the principles of sustainable living
- Assisting in the collection of data from various sources
- Keeping a thorough and accurate record of data sources and collection times
- Participation in the computation of data into generalized information
- Assisting in analyzing findings, determining recommendations for improvement and writing a report to that effect
- Maintaining a professional attitude and demeanor toward both the project and those they come in contact with for the duration of the internship
- Maintaining regular communication with the Sustainability Coordinator in order to schedule activities and maximize time available
- Keeping a record of project hours for approval by Site Supervisor
- Completing one personal OR one campus project