Students selected from both the Jamestown and Olean campuses will assist the Sustainability Coordinator in maintaining an informative and interactive JCC Sustainability website.
These activities will include some or all of the following:
- Assist the Sustainability Office in assessing the current Sustainability web content and creating a plan for updating and expanding that content.
- Develop content for the website including, but not limited to, news stories, activities and events calendar, videos, and social media outlets.
- Re-writing the Sustainability from a Student’s Perspective page.
- Researching, identifying, and maintaining a page of links to relevant websites.
- Measure and record website traffic to determine which content is most effective at attracting site visits
- Creation of interactive and informative pages that promote student involvement. Examples would include news of the week, contests and quizzes, and tips for sustainable living.
- Maintain a sustainability/EAG events and activities page including non-college events in the Jamestown community.
- Contribute to the production of a monthly electronic newsletter, based on the news stories written for the website.
- Students will gain an understanding of the breadth and depth of sustainability as it applies to local lifestyles
- Students will better understand the principles of sustainable living as it applies to energy, waste, climate, and social responsibility
- Students will learn to articulate the principles of sustainability to a wider audience and create awareness of sustainable practices on campus
- Additional training will be conducted individually and as necessary
Context for Internship:
This internship utilizes the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment framework.
- American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment is a high-visibility effort to address global warming by garnering institutional commitments to neutralize greenhouse gas emissions, and to accelerate the research and educational efforts of higher education to equip society to re-stabilize the earth's climate (www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org)
- The Sustainability Handbook: The Complete Management Guide to Achieving Social, Economic, and Environmental Responsibility by William Blackburn
- The Story of Stuff Project – Free Range Studios (www.storyofstuff.org)
Students must have successfully completed at least 24 credits and earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
Students will be responsible for:
- Participation in learning activities such as reading assignments, videos, or group discussions to gain a better understanding of the principles of sustainable living
- Work with the JCC Web Content Manager to update and maintain current and accurate web content
- Researching news, events, data, and activities relevant for inclusion on website
- Work with the college web content manager to determine formats and content
- Maintaining a professional attitude and demeanor toward both the project and those they come in contact with for the duration of the internship
- Maintaining regular communication with the Sustainability Coordinator in order to schedule activities and maximize time available
- Keeping a record of project hours for approval by Site Supervisor