Annual Recognition Event

You are here

The Annual Recognition Event

Donors are the heart of the JCC Foundation. Likewise, civic-minded individuals and organizations are the heart of the communities we serve. Each year, the JCC Foundation hosts a recognition event at which two prestigious awards — the John D. Hamilton Award and the Community Partner Award — are given.

 

The John D. Hamilton Award

John D. Hamilton headshotThe John D. Hamilton Society was created in 1995 and named after John D. Hamilton, a longtime friend and trustee of the College. Mr. Hamilton was among the devoted community leaders who worked diligently to see Jamestown Community College chartered in 1950 as the first community college in the State University of New York. In 1954, he was appointed to the JCC Board of Trustees by Governor Thomas E. Dewey. He served in various leadership roles on the Board of Trustees and in 1969 served as acting President for the 1969-70 academic year. During the next several years, Mr. Hamilton played a significant role in the growth and development of the College. In recognition of his many years of support and dedication to the College, the JCC Collegiate Center was renamed the John D. Hamilton Collegiate Center in 1983. In September 1991, Mr. Hamilton resigned from the Board of Trustees. Later that fall, JCC honored him by naming him the first trustee emeritus. The John D. Hamilton Award was established by the JCC Foundation in 1995 to recognize individuals whose civic contributions exemplify those of Hamilton. 

 

Recipients of the John D. Hamilton Award:

2013
David H. Carnahan
 
2012
Patricia M. Phillips
 
2011
Thomas I. Flowers
 
2010
JCC Board of Trustee Chairmen
Over the Past 60 Years
 
2009
James E. Stitt &
Cutco Corporate College
 
2007
George Bataitis &
Ken & Lois Strickler
 
2006
Louis Magnano
 
2005
Elizabeth S. Lenna Fairbank
 
2004
Allen Short
2003
Jim Snyder
 
2002
Dr. Lillian Vitanza Ney
 
2001
Erick Laine
Ted Smith
 
2000
Robert C. Kochersberger
 
1999
Miles L. Lasser
 
1998
Stanley & Sarita Weeks
 
1997
Dr. Robert Hagstrom
 
1996
Charles H. Price, Esq.
 
1997
John D. Hamilton

 

The Community Partner Award

The Community Partner Award recognizes the vital role of organizations that work collaboratively with JCC to provide for the education and social, cultural, and civic enrichment of our area. The JCC Foundation introduced the award in 2009.

 

Recipients of the Community Partner Award:

2013 — The Carnahan-Jackson Foundation, Inc.
Katharine Jackson Carnahan was instrumental in initiating the first concerted community effort to bring college-level courses to the Jamestown area and was considered one of the College's most avid supporters. In 1984, the Carnahan-Jackson Foundation established two endowed funds with the JCC Foundation as a tribute to her. The Katharine Jackson Carnahan Endowment for the Humanities provides major annual support for JCC's cultural and arts programming. The Carnahan-Jackson USA Scholarship Endowment provides significant support for USA Scholars at JCC. At the time this award was given, the Carnahan-Jackson Foundation had provided more than $1.46 million in support to JCC and ranked fourth on the College's list of all-time leading donors.

2012 — City of Jamestown, Cattaraugus County, and Chautauqua County
The City of Jamestown served as JCC's sole local sponsor from the time of the College's inception in 1950 until 1996. When regional sponsorship of JCC began in 1986, the City transferred ownership of 112 acres to the College for the Jamestown campus. By the mid-1990s, only 20 percent of the College's student body was comprised of Jamestown residents, and it became clear that a regional model of sponsorship had become necessary for the future development of the College as a regional institution. On June 11, 1996, Cattaraugus County and Chautauqua County became regional sponsors of the College, increasing the College's Board of Trustees to 15 members, including five appointees from each county. The regional sponsorship model has helped make possible today's JCC, which in 2012 was named the "Top Performing Public Two-Year College" in New York State by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

2011 — Hultquist Foundation, Inc. and the Ralph C. Sheldon Foundation, Inc.
The Hultquist Foundation has been a major contributor to Jamestown Community College, along with many other Jamestown-area charitable organizations. At the time this award was given the Hultquist Foundation had provided more than $5 million in support over a 30-year period. The Ralph C. Sheldon Foundation, Inc. was established in 1948 to "aid and assist in charitable, benevolent, educational, and physical well=being of people" by devoting its "income, principal, and property solely for charitable, benevolent, educational, and scientific purposes. At the time this award was given the Ralph C. Sheldon Foundation had provided more than $3 million in support over a 30-year period.

2009 — Cutco Corporate College
Established in the fall of 2000 as a partnership between JCC and Cutco Corporation, the Cutco Corporate College is designed to promote education amongst Cutco employees through skill development and customized training. Employees are encouraged to obtain either a Cutco College Certificate or a full Associate's Degree. At the time this award was given, more than 400 employees have successfully completed a variety of courses through the Corporate College, including accounting, business communications, labor relations, business ethics, and leadership.